Hosts: Te Aka Wāhine o Tāmaki Auckland GWN
Venue: Online via Zoom
Date: 2 December 2021
Attendance: Approx. 55
Kaisalina Mealamu - Senior Customs Officer and Co-chair for the NZ Customs Pasifika Network
Maria Halligan - Whanau Ora Commissioning Agency, AGWN komiti member
Theresa Peters - Senior Advisor Inclusion and Diversity, Department of Corrections and Co-chair for Cross-Agency Rainbow Network/CARN
Our last event of the year focussed on diversity and inclusion and its importance in our workplaces in Tāmaki Makaurau and how employee-led networks (ELNs) work to support this kaupapa.
- Diversity is having a seat at the table, inclusion is having a voice at that table
- Do we need policy or values?
- You can be as diverse as pick'n mix but it's active and affirmative inclusiveness that matters
- Be aware of your effect on those around you, whakamana not whakama
- Embrace your uniqueness/whakapapa
- Changing the order, Inclusion and Diversity rather than D&I - bring in lived experiences and action to what is often just words on paper
This event was one of the best!
I appreciate how all the speakers shared their very honest and personal experiences.
Wonderful, thoughtful korero and well-run event, ngā mihi!
Kia pai to mahi wāhine ma!