Carving a path with persistence and professionalismSouthern GWN's new Chair, Jennie Farrar-de Wagt, is the Development Partner for the Southern Region at the Department of Corrections Ara Poutama Aotearoa.
Southern GWN was launched in Christchurch in May 2018, establishing a formal presence for GWN in the South Island. The launch of Southern GWN was achieved through the efforts and enthusiastic commitment from a group of Christchurch women, with leadership from several women in the New Zealand Customs Service.
Southern GWN is not tied to a specific organisation or agency. Similarly to Auckland GWN, Southern GWN is a cross-agency regional network for all interested women and their supporters from any government organisation or agency in the South Island.
Southern GWN’s goals and aims
Southern GWN shares GWN’s larger goals and ensures their regional work is focussed on facilitating professional networking opportunities, leadership development, and to support women with resources.
Outside Christchurch, government women in other South Island locations are encouraged to connect with each other and their supporters to hold local professional networking events. The West Coast Professional Women’s Network, a network for both public and private sector women, is associated with Southern GWN .
Southern GWN shares the larger aims of GWN, and:
- Identifies and pursues topics that are relevant to public sector women across the South Island and promotes regional network events
- Shares resources and information between GWN and Southern GWN and with networks throughout the South Island
- Shares successes and outcomes from events and connection with their members and networks
- Where relevant, supports GWN when information or help is sought
- Shares government information with Southern GWN members and promote information and events publicised by GWN
- Shares issues, observations and suggestions from Southern GWN members with GWN
Southern GWN Committee
Southern GWN’s Committee, led by the committee Chair, is comprised of members from agencies around the South Island. Southern GWN's Committee are:
Jennie Farrar-de Wagt, Southern GWN Chair, Department of Corrections
Leah Rees, MBIE
Leigh Carmody, New Zealand Customs Service
Jacqui Francis, New Zealand Customs Service
Courtney Stinson, AVSEC
Nicola Danielson, ACC
Nadia Reid, AVSEC
Rachael Knowles, Ministry for Primary Industries
Eileen Yee, Department of Internal Affairs
Lauren Ball, Department of Corrections
Kirsty Paterson, Ministry for Primary Industries
Annie Gavigan, MBIE
Carolyn Savage, Kāinga Ora
Liz Krause, Kāinga Ora
To join the Southern GWN, signup to our newsletter mailing list.
If you're interested in taking a more active role as part of the Southern GWN Committee or occasional volunteering, please get in touch.