The Southern GWN was launched in Christchurch in May 2018, establishing a formal presence for GWN in the South Island. The launch of SGWN was achieved through the efforts and enthusiastic commitment from a group of Christchurch women, with leadership from several women in the New Zealand Customs Service.
Southern GWN (SGWN) is not tied to a specific organisation or agency. Similarly to AGWN, SGWN is a cross-agency regional network for all interested women and their supporters from any government organisation or agency in the South Island.
SGWN’s goals and aims
SGWN shares GWN’s larger goals and ensures their regional work is focussed on facilitating professional networking opportunities, leadership development, and to support women with resources.
Outside Christchurch, government women in other South Island locations are encouraged to connect with each other and their supporters to hold local professional networking events. The West Coast Professional Women’s Network, a network for both public and private sector women, is associated with SGWN.
SGWN shares the larger aims of GWN, and:
- Identifies and pursues topics that are relevant to public sector women across the South Island and promotes regional network events
- Shares resources and information between GWN and SGWN and with networks throughout the South Island
- Shares successes and outcomes from events and connection with their members and networks
- Where relevant, supports GWN when information or help is sought
- Shares government information with SGWN members and promote information and events publicised by GWN
- Shares issues, observations and suggestions from SGWN members with GWN
SGWN’s Committee, led by the committee Chair, is comprised of members from agencies around the South Island.
To join the SGWN mailing list, email us with JOIN SGWN in the subject line.
If you're interested in taking a more active role as part of the SGWN Committee or occasional volunteering, please get in touch.